Flashing your brightest smile means keeping your teeth as white as possible. Like most problems, a proactive approach is usually the most effective. There’s a lot that can contribute to tooth discoloration, so that also means there’s a lot you can do to prevent it!
Here are some obvious and not-so-common tips to keep your smile looking radiant.
- Avoid or cut back on stain-causing foods and beverages.
- Drink your beverages, don’t sip and hold them in your mouth. The longer it resides, the more opportunity it has to stain.
- Use a clean, reusable straw to direct beverages further into your mouth and away from your teeth.
- If you can’t give up coffee or red wine, wait 30 minutes after your last sip before brushing. This is actually a good rule for all acidic drinks including soda and juice. The acidity temporarily softens enamel and can cause damage to it and the dentin that lies underneath. Waiting 30 minutes before brushing your teeth gives the enamel a chance to harden again.
- When you can’t brush after a meal, chew sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva production and, if that’s not an option, at the very least rinse with water.
- Upgrade to an electric toothbrush if you’re not using one already.
- At home, use whitening products that have the ADA seal of approval. In addition to the whitening strips, whitening toothpaste and mouthwashes can maximize your results.
- Don’t smoke, and if you do, quit.
- Follow the two-times rules: Twice a day brush, floss, and use mouthwash. Twice a year visit the dentist for a professional cleaning.
Even if you follow all the best advice and your teeth still aren’t as white as you’d like, talk to us about more advanced options. In-office whitening can produce faster, brighter results than over-the-counter strips, and we can also discuss your other options that might include veneers, crowns, and/or bonding. We look forward to helping you have the smile you desire! At Downtown Franklin Family Dentistry, your smile begins here!